ASREN is Hiring - Open Position Network Engineer
The Arab States Research and Education Network (ASREN) is a non- profit German organization, which was established in 2011 with a mission to setup a dedicated regional e-Infrastructure network for research and education across the Arab region. The network connects National Research and education Networks (NRENs) of the Arab countries between each other and with their peers in Europe and the rest of the world through ASREN PoP in London.
ASREN is setting up additional PoPs in United Arab Emirates and Egypt as two regional open exchange points for inter-regional data communication. It is also providing computational platforms for applications, services, and tools for a variety of research and education communities. The purpose is to facilitate collaboration and enable open access to science in a wider context. eduroam is a common service that has been widely deployed in the Arab NRENs to facilitate authenticated WiFi access across universities and institutions.
ASREN has been an active partner in several European funded projects such as EUMEDCONNECT3 and AfricaConenct2. It closely works with regional research and education network across the globe, including GEANT, WACREN, Red Clara, Ubununet Alliance, APAN and Internet2. The main objective is to coordinate and harmonize interoperable platform for open access to research and education repositories and resources.
ASREN is seeking a qualified network engineer to contribute to the development of ASREN e-Infrastructure and deployment of REN applications and services at the Arab regional and national NRENs in the context of EUMEDCONNECT and AFRICACONNECT projects.
Position Essential functions:
- Creates network design and topology of ASREN regional e-Infrastructure
- Establish and manage ASREN’s NOC
- Configures ASREN’s Cisco Routers for peering with other regional networks using BGP
- Implements dedicated circuits and GRE tunneling solutions for REN virtual connections
- Designs, configures, and implements ASREN regional AAI and identity provider infrastructure
- Supports the development of the Arab national and regional identity providers and manages their regional and international interconnection
- Supports deployment for eduroam and eduGain across the networks of ASREN’s NREN members
- Sets up ASREN’s science gateway and implements its interoperable platform
- Supports the development of NRENs and configuration of related REN services
- Supports regional capacity building plan for NREN members in coordination with GEANT, Ubuntunet Alliance and WACREN and coordinates and implements ASREN’s e-Learning portal
- Works closely with CTOs and technical staff of regional RENS and NREN members of ASREN
- Supports the consolidation of services and accessibility to HPC, Clouds, and other computational resources and repositories
Minimum requirements and essential qualifications
- Bachelor degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 7 years of technical experience and work on Networks, Systems and Security
- Experience in LAN/WAN networking including planning, design, procurement, implementation and management
- Experience in security including AAI, Firewall, IDP, Certificate Authority services….
- Experience in networking technologies including optical fiber, MPLS, VPN, BGP…
- Good knowledge in internet technologies and services, cloud computing, and REN services
- Certified Engineer in networking and security, preferably in Cisco technologies.
- Excellent programming skills and use of Linux
- Good knowledge of active directory and LDAP
- Good knowledge of networking technologies at the physical and link layers, including SDH/ SONET, MPLS, SDN, Ethernet, VLAN
- Good knowledge of network routing protocols, mainly inter and intra AS
- Good knowledge of project management principles and tools
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrates high standards of professional conduct
- Ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays when needed
How to apply
Interested candidates may apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 31 July 2019, by sending the following:
- Cover letter
- Professional statement