The work already done in the EUMEDGRID project has led to a pilot Grid Infrastructure which covers almost all the Mediterranean Area. EUMEDGRID-Support will start from there and make a further step to push towards a larger production quality e-Infrastructure and the adoption of more sustainable organizational models for the provision of services.
EUMEDGRID-Support (2010-2012), kicked off on 1 January 2010, with its launch event held 25-28 January 2010 in Cairo, Egypt wants to build on the successful outcomes of EUMEDGRID (2006-2008) and spotlight Europe and the Mediterranean and Middle-east regions through an open dialogue aimed at increasing stakeholder and community awareness on the fundamental importance of e-Infrastructures with the ultimate goal of ensuring long-term sustainability.
To maximize outcomes, EUMEDGrid-Support adopts a two-fold approach: bottom-up approach - serving to raise awareness among researchers, students and technical personnel who can greatly benefit from using e-Infrastructures in their work; and top-down bringing into sharp relief the need for a policy framework developed with funding bodies highlighting the value-add and need for e-Infrastructures to empower researchers and advance the frontiers of scientific research.
EUMEDGRID-Support & ASREN
EUMEDGRID-Support project participated in the process of building the ASREN organisation in conjunction with EUMEDCONNECT2 and GÉANT2. Through collaboration with EUMEDGRID Support, ASREN will benefit from grid experiences in Europe, in the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern countries, and would help to:
- Promote harmonization of policies and standards in relevant areas at regional level.
- Promote the adoption and usage of e-Infrastructures and services among the scientific community.
- Strengthen regional partnerships and encouraging joint scientific research at all levels
- Facilitate knowledge exchange and transfer processes across the region and with relevant partners in Europe and worldwide
- Advocate at the regional level amongst decision makers and stakeholders, and draw attention to high level politicians and decision makers on the importance of the e-Infrastructures to develop the research and education communities in the Arab world and beyond.
More information: http://www.eumedgrid.eu/